BAKED WHOLE CHICKEN RECIPE
1 whole chicken (approx. 2 kg)
4 cloves of garlic
2 full teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
Half a teaspoon of allspice
1-2 sprigs of thyme thyme (you can also use fresh thyme or dried thyme)
2 teaspoons of chili pepper
Peel and half juice of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 bottles of soda (400 ml)
FOR GARLIC AND ROSEMARY POTATOES;
8 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon salt
3-4 sprigs of rosemary
Half tea glass of olive oil
- Heat the oven in 220C bottom-up and fan mode.
- For the delicious sauce of the chicken, add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar, 2 cloves and 1 large sprig of thyme to 4 cloves of garlic and beat in a mortar. Add 2 teaspoons of chili peppers, half a teaspoon of allspice, 1 teaspoon of black pepper and the peel of 1 lemon. Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter and mix in order to mix all the flavors.
- Dry off any excess moisture on the chicken with a napkin. This will keep the sauce on the chicken better.
- To taste the less fatty breast, separate the skin from the neck with your fingers without tearing it, and make a few scratches on the chest with a knife. Thus, the sauce you put on the inside will go deeper and multiply the flavor of the chicken.
- Make sure the chicken is well seasoned on the outside as well as on the inside.
- Squeeze the juice of half of the lemon you grated its peel into the sauce. Rub the remaining lemon into the chicken and leave it in it. Take a piece of the remaining sauce and season the inside of the chicken.
- Pour ¾ of the soda bottle into a glass. Add the pestle sauce on top. At this stage, it is important to use a temperature-resistant enamel or steel glass.
- Place the chicken on the glass and place it on the baking tray. Pour 1 more bottle of soda in the bottle with the delicious sauce remaining at the bottom of the air.
- Cut 1 tangerine and the remaining half lemon in half and add to the tray.
- Place the thermometer on the breast, the thickest part of the chicken, and put it at the bottom of the oven. In this way, cook for about 20-25 minutes.
- Peel the skins of 5 potatoes and cut them into cubes. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to 8 cloves of garlic and beat in a mortar until it becomes pureed. Add the leaves of 3-4 sprigs and half a tea glass of olive oil and mix.
- Pour this sauce over the potatoes and mix until you’re sure they all get their share.
- After 25 minutes, squeeze the juice of lemon and tangerine on the chicken and add the potatoes to the tray.
- If the parts of the chicken closest to the fire are getting more and more rapidly colored, cover it with a piece of greased cheesecloth and cook for 1 more hour.
- When the chicken is cooked, take it out of the oven and cover it with greaseproof paper or foil with greaseproof paper and rest for 10-15 minutes. When you add parsley or coriander leaves on it, your Christmas chicken is at your disposal to accompany you to your family tables on New Year’s Eve.